1. Analyst A and I had an ongoing, entirely therapeutic (I mean this) conversation about the best song ever written.
2. At the time I was pretty solid on the idea that Stevie Nicks’ “Landslide” was the best song ever written.
3. Analyst A smiled and said, “That’s a damn fine song.”
4. Her pick was “Send in the Clowns” sung by Judy Collins.
5. I listened to it once.
6. Analyst A was older then me by maybe 10 years.
7. Analyst B is younger than me by 10 years and we have few cultural reference in common.
8. She is not a reader of novels (she claims she was and will be again) or poetry, nor a watcher of films or TV. She is American. She likes art but does not know a lot of it, I don’t think. And i don’t know her generation’s music (I wasn’t in the US during her music-taste-shaping years).
9. Analyst B is not a theoretician or a philosopher or if she is she keeps it to herself.
10. It’s hard for me that I have few cultural references in common with my analyst.
11. She’s been making a fine, fine mom these last few months though, and that has been beautiful.
Painting by Doortje Hannig.