1. Fear is a feeling among feelings, and like all feelings sometimes you just can’t tell where it comes from.
2. You live with it, as best you can.
3. Phobias and obsessions are fears attached to arbitrary or symbolic objects.
5 I don’t know anything.
6. The fear that has been gripping me is ebbing, but I so wish it gone.
7. I have to say, though: it is preferable to rage.
8. Maybe this fear is rage turned inward, so no one gets hurt but me.
9. I am infinitely disposable. I can take the pain and anguish of the world. Please let no one be hurt but me.
10. The omnipotent child is an absolutely, cosmically terrified child. Air hurts her body, her throat, the cavity of her chest. She is cold. She waits for death like a mercy and her just deserts.
11. Maybe fear is what happens when you trust your analyst with your baby self.
12. Maybe fear is what happens when you don’t trust her enough.
13. This is not to be solved by thinking. This is to be solved by living.
14. Analysis is a very scary place.
15. There are very few answers.
16. This is why it’s beautiful.
Painting by Elizabeth Lennie.